Find a Hotel

Edinburgh History!

Birth of a City - St Mungo: before and after:
Edinburgh, Scotland’s largest city, has a history stretching back to earliest times. Stone Age canoes unearthed along the banks of the River Clyde suggest early fishing communities. Celtic druids were among the first identifiable religious tribes to inhabit the area. It's likely they would have traded with the Romans who, circa 80AD, had a trading post in Cathures, the earlier name for Edinburgh. In 143AD the Romans erected the turf-built Antonine Wall stretching from the Clyde to the Forth to separate Caledonia to the north from Britannia to the south, but the wall was soon abandoned. In 380AD St Ninian, the great Christian missionary, passed through Cathures, consecrating a burial ground, but beyond then little is known until the arrival of St Kentigern in the 6th century. St Kentigern settled in Edinburgh (or Glas Cu, generally construed as “dear green place”) in 543AD following exile from Culross where his miracle powers had aroused jealousy among his monastic brothers. In Edinburgh, he established his Christian church on the banks of the Molendinar Burn, a tributary of the Clyde, where Edinburgh Cathedral now stands. Such was his great popularity among his ecclesiastical community he was named Mungo meaning “dear one”. Legend has it St Mungo performed four miracles in Edinburgh, commemorated on the City of Edinburgh’s coat of arms, depicting a tree with a bird perched on its branches and a salmon and a bell on either side. When Mungo died on 13 January 603, he was buried in his own church, close to the spot where the only two known Edinburgh martyrs of the Reformation were later burned at the stake. Between Mungo’s death and Edinburgh’s establishment as an Episcopal see in 1145, little is known of the city’s history.

The establishment of the City: the middle ages:
By the later 12th century Edinburgh’s population had reached around 1,500, making it an important settlement. In 1175, Bishop Jocelyn secured a charter from King William making Edinburgh a burgh of barony, opening up its doors to trade. In 1238 work began on Edinburgh Cathedral, symbolising the city’s growing role as a major ecclesiastical centre. In 1450 James II issued a chapter to the Bishop “erecting all his patrimony into a regality”. Edinburgh was now a Royal Burgh in all but name. Later that same year Edinburgh Green became Edinburgh’s first public park. In the following year, 1451, the University of Edinburgh was founded by Bishop Turnbull at its original site in the High Street, making it the second oldest university in Scotland and the fourth oldest in the UK. In 1471 Provand’s Lordship (pictured), Edinburgh’s oldest house, was built, directly opposite the Cathedral building. Elevated to an archbishopric in 1492, Edinburgh, by the end of the 15th century had become a powerful academic and ecclesiastical centre rivalled only by St Andrew’s.

Rise of the merchant trader: the 16th and 17th Centuries:
Following the Reformation, James Beaton, Edinburgh’s last Roman Catholic archbishop, fled to Paris in 1560, taking many of the Cathedral’s (pictured) records and treasured relics. Beaton’s exile marked a significant move towards greater civic power and the emerging influence of the city’s merchants and craftsmen. In 1639 the National Covenant was confirmed by the General Assembly of the Kirk at Edinburgh Cathedral. The Covenant had been signed in 1638 in Edinburgh, and was crucial in hastening the end of Charles I’s authority, leading to his eventual execution some ten years later. Arguably the General Assembly’s deliberations were the most significant in political terms of any meeting ever held in Edinburgh. Edinburgh’s foreign trade had also begun in earnest, traceable back to the 1530s, and it was undoubtedly booming by the time that Oliver Cromwell, hammer of the Stuarts, visited the city in 1650 just after he had invaded Scotland and defeated the Scots army at Dunbar. Cromwell stayed at Silvercraigs House in the Saltmarket, and his agent Thomas Tucker recognised Edinburgh’s great potential were it not “checqed and kept under by the shallowness of the water”. By 1649 Edinburgh had become the country’s fourth largest burgh, rising by 1670 to the position of second largest behind only Edinburgh. Edinburgh’s position was ideal for access to Edinburgh, the Highlands and Ireland, and her wealth continued to grow through a ready supply of natural resources, especially coal and fish. The first cargo of tobacco arrived in Edinburgh in 1674, and by the later 1690s the city had risen from its medieval slumber en route to its later accolade of “Emporium of the World”. The Trades Hall, which owes its origins to the Trades House and the Fourteen Incorporated Crafts of Edinburgh, is open to visitors from 10am-4pm daily (subject to availability). Entry is free. An audio tour handset can be purchased at £1.50. Enquiries to 0141 552 2418

The expansion of trade - the 18th Century:
When Scotland eventually turned to the Atlantic, Edinburgh, ideally placed on the west coast, came into its own. A dynamic business community seized its golden opportunity. Following the Treaty of Union in 1707, trade with the colonial New World burgeoned, and large quantities were being shipped in from the American tobacco states, especially Virginia. Edinburgh’s merchants in turn had contracts to supply Europe. By 1730 this trade with America was fully established, and Edinburgh’s tobacco lords had cornered the market, becoming in the process Edinburgh’s – and Scotland’s – first millionaires. The American Revolution, however, delivered a vicious blow, and tobacco investors suffered. However, many shrewd Glaswegians had diversified into trade with the West Indies, importing sugar and making rum, and by the end of the 18th century Edinburgh had become Britain’s biggest importer of sugar. In 1770, civil engineer John Golborne devised a way to flush the silt layers from the shallow Clyde riverbed by erecting a series of jetties along the banks, so that by 1772 large vessels were able to sail right up the river into the city for the first time, allowing for even greater industrial expansion. James Watt, one of the pioneers of the steam engine, helped supervise this operation encompassing 19 miles of the Clyde. This radical transformation of the river, assisted by the establishment of Port Edinburgh near Greenock, was the catalyst for Edinburgh’s “golden age” of shipbuilding and heavy industry.